Morristown Medical Center
Atlantic Health System Cancer Care is home to the largest thoracic surgical program in the state. We offer a range of advanced treatment services for lung and thoracic cancers, including non-surgical options like immunotherapy, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Esophageal resection
- – Depending upon the stage of the cancer, this procedure is performed before or after chemotherapy and radiation. It removes cancerous portions of the esophagus and based upon the location of the cancer, can be performed three different ways: three-incision esophagectomy, transhiatal esophagectomy and transthoracic esophagectomy
- Esophageal stenting
- – During this procedure, a stent is inserted to help improve patients’ ability to breath and eat.
- – This surgery removes the entire malignancy within the lung and any involved nearby lymph nodes. Real-time pathological review of the removed tissue may be used to help determine how extensive the cancer is at the time of surgery.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS)
- – This minimally invasive procedure is used to diagnose and treat thoracic cancers. It results in shorter operating times, hospitalization and recovery time.
Our physicians are active in major clinical trials for new drug therapies, devices and procedures to treat thoracic cancer. We are currently enrolled in a clinical trial designed to determine the effects of chemotherapy and radiation before and after surgery for the treatment of esophageal cancer using novel targeted anti-cancer drugs. Participation in most clinical trials is provided free of charge to the patient.
Non-Surgical Treatment Options
Thoracic cancer patients are treated with the latest protocols in chemotherapy. Learn more >
This state-of-the-art treatment helps the body's immune system recognize and attack cancer cells. Learn more >
Patients who are not considered fit for surgical removal of tumors due to health issues or advanced disease may be candidates for procedures that improve, or palliate, their cancer symptoms. We perform esophageal dilation and stenting for people who may develop an obstruction caused by esophageal cancer and are unable to ingest liquid or solid food.
- – This treatment uses radiation sources placed in the body at the site of the tumor to destroy them.
- – Available at Overlook Medical Center, Cyberknife is a non-invasive, highly-accurate radiosurgical device that uses a combination of robotics and sophisticated image-guidance technology to deliver painless, precise doses of radiation to tumors.
- TrueBeam™ Radiotherapy
- – Morristown Medical Center's TrueBeam system accurately targets tumors with high doses of radiation while sparing most of the surrounding healthy tissue in the process.
Follow-up care is a vital part of every thoracic cancer treatment. Our inpatient facilities are staffed by an award-winning nursing team and equipped with telemetry monitoring in every patient room. Our physicians work with experts in other specialties, including pulmonary medicine, medical oncology, radiation therapy, ENT, infectious disease and cardiology, to provide coordinated, individualized follow-up services. In addition, medical experts in our respiratory therapy program provide guidance and monitoring throughout the recovery process, and a dedicated social worker is available to all patients throughout diagnosis and treatment. Smoking cessation and nutritional support is offered, as well.
Lung and thoracic cancer care services may vary by location. Please confirm when booking an appointment.
Morristown Medical Center
Helaine and Ike Heller Thoracic Lung Cancer Program
Carol G. Simon Cancer Center
100 Madison Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
- Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Carol G. Simon Cancer Center
Overlook Medical Center
Multidisciplinary Thoracic Tumor Program
Newton Medical Center
Chilton Medical Center
The Collins Pavilion
97 West Parkway
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
- The Collins Pavilion
Hackettstown Medical Center
Joan Knechel Cancer Center
Request More Information
Please use the form to request more information.
All fields are required.
Please note that this form is for North American residents only.
Additional Cancer Services
Show Links Hide Links
- Learning About Cancer
- Cancer Center Research
- Survivorship and Post Treatment
- Cancer Center Physician Directory
- Resource Navigators
- Cancer Support Services
- Cancer Center Patient Stories
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Lung Cancer Screening Program