While you are hospitalized, your doctor may prescribe medications for you. Be sure you understand what the medication is for and ask about any side effects.
Refer to this list of questions to help you get the information you need from your doctor:
- What are the brand and generic names of this medication?
- Why am I taking this medication?
- What dose will I be taking? How often and for how long?
- When will the medicine begin to work?
- What are the side effects?
- Are there any drug-drug and drug-diet interactions I need to be aware of while taking this medication?
- Are there any activities I should avoid while taking this medicine?
- Is it best to take the medication with or without food?
- What should I do if I forget to take the medicine or miss a dose?
We also offer a consultation at your bedside with one of our pharmacists to discuss your medications and go over any questions or side effect issues you may have. Please ask your nurse to contact our pharmacy department to arrange this bedside appointment at no extra charge to you.
Our medical staff wants to do everything possible to minimize any pain experienced during your stay. It is important for you to communicate with staff about your level of pain to ensure we are meeting your needs. Individualized pain management plans vary among patients and may include medication or other methods of relief.